Friday, October 17, 2008

Give to God the things that are God's

This week, I've been reading about hunting. This coming Sunday will be Hunters' Sunday in our parish, and we are encouraging everyone to come to church in their best camouflage and orange gear. I am not a hunter, and I don't know a whole lot about hunting, so...I've been reading.

One of the things that I've noticed is that there seems to be a certain unexpected kinship between hunting and my favorite leisure activities (knitting and spinning). There is a lot of time for quiet reflection--for some that sounds hopelessly boring, while others will cherish those moments. There are exciting moments (okay, I admit that turning a heel on a sock does not sound nearly as exciting as sighting your first deer), but if that excitement is the only part you enjoy, you are going to be bored most of the time.

Our gospel reading for this week includes the great line, "Give therefore to the emperor the things that are the emperor's, and to God the things that are God's" (Matthew 22:20). The point is not so much about whether or not we should pay taxes. It has more to do with recognizing God as the true source of all that we are and all that we have. "The things that are God's" include much more than just our coins--they include literally everything. Our whole lives are formed according to God's gracious gifts to us. Even our leisure time.

So what does this look like? For a hunter, perhaps it comes during those moments of quiet reflection. That time can be a prayer, in appreciation for the beauties of God's creation. It doesn't have to be a constant internal monologue, either--sometimes the most profound prayer is the one you pray by simply sitting still, listening.

For you, maybe it's not hunting. Maybe it's not knitting, either. But whatever it is that you do this week--hanging out with friends, singing in a choir, sports or other physical activities, even simply studying--that can be an opportunity to think of God, who makes all these things possible.

~Pastor Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah...I am glad I had a chance to meet you this week. I hope you keep up the blogging.

    One of the things that I talked about in my sermon on Sunday was Jesus response to the question of paying taxes. He asked for a coin and then asked whose insignia was on it. Then he says to give to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's. I then asked the congregation what belongs to God and the answer is that which contains God's insignia...us. In baptism we are sealed with the Holy Spirit and MARKED with the cross of Christ forever.

    I love this piece of Good News. Do want you need to do in this world but remember that God has something more for you since God has claimed us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by!

    I love to bring up the cross we are marked with in our baptism--it is such a powerful image, and it resonates with so many other images (the ashes of Ash Wednesday, the mark of the cross vs. the mark of the beast in Revelation). I was able to bring in this image in my children's message on Sunday.

    Hunters' Sunday was a lot of fun, but it did mean that I spent a little less time with this fascinating text. There is always way more in there than I can (or should) fit into one sermon!

    ReplyDelete