Monday, May 18, 2009

Prayers: Summer camps

Summer camps, particularly church camps (I don't really get non-church camps), have been near and dear to my heart since I first went to Lutheran Memorial Camp the summer after fifth grade. My sense of call to ordained ministry developed most clearly out of my three summers on camp staff. (Fortunately, the "memory" of any camp staff being what it is, the current website has almost no pictures of me whatsoever.) Which is not to say that every camp counselor becomes a pastor--but there are more of us than you might realize.

Most of the camps, if they are anything like my experience, have pretty much lined up their summer staffs right now, or they are in the process of making the last few hires. (That said, I seem to recall a couple of times when we were still looking at a spot or two to fill by the first week in June, so if this is what you want to do with your summer, you might just be a God-send for some camp.) They will be getting ready for the summer and especially for the critical days of staff training. This is an intense (and richly blessed) time, so many prayers are needed!

Our parish relates mostly to Luther Crest in Alexandria, which in my experience so far seems to be a great camp. We also sometimes do things through Mount Carmel, which is practically next door to Luther Crest, and focuses on different sorts of ministry. (They just started a new blog with daily Bible readings, which is supposed to get through the Bible in three years. With pictures and artwork and music selections. Nice. They seem to have the same problem I do with the comments, though.)
~Pastor Sarah

1 comment:

  1. We've finally worked our way out of the brochures, too. (Probably not any luck on the Amazing Grace display, though they're getting new pictures for that, too.)

    ReplyDelete