Monday, February 16, 2009

Prayers: Assignment process

Right now, senior seminarians and other recently-approved candidates for ministry are waiting to find out where they will be serving. If they have spouses and/or kids, they are waiting, too. This week, they will be assigned to one of 9 geographical regions in the ELCA, which is the first big step. (After a region assignment, which can be pretty broad, you get a synod assignment, and only after that do you start thinking on the level of individual congregations and parishes.)

I went through this experience last year--for me it was pretty easy, because I was open to going anywhere, but I also felt strongly for my peers who were in different situations, all trying to be faithful to God's call. (An anonymous student from my seminary was quoted in the local paper as saying "I need a map" upon opening her assignment envelope. Yes, that was me. Yes, I knew where Minnesota was. But it didn't say "Minnesota". It said "Region 3". Would you know which synods are in Region 3?)

At Southern seminary, what happens is that the seniors all get together in the chapel to receive their envelopes. Some of them will be opened right there, while others will wait until they can be with family. It's an emotional day, full of mixed feelings--rejoicing with those who rejoice, mourning with those who mourn, and puzzling with those who are puzzled. Most students will be happy with their assignments, but there will be a few unwelcome surprises.

So, this week, I'll be taking extra time to pray for students who are waiting to be assigned and for their families and for the bishops and other folks in charge of making the assignments. The Holy Spirit really is working in this process. Sometimes this is obvious, and sometimes it is very mysterious--but it is always true.
~Pastor Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment