Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Tuesday update

Weather: Still cold.

This year, the Souper Bowl of Caring raised $2,754,289, all of which goes to local organizations. We chose not to participate this year, so we can stay focused on the 30 Hour Famine. Still, it's an exciting project, and a cause for giving thanks! And if you stop by their website, you will notice that the countdown is already on for next year!

Yes, I saw the Super Bowl (well, most of it--okay, okay, some of most of it). I even saw the much-vaunted all-3D commercial break, which didn't mean much to me because I didn't have 3D glasses. Even if I did have 3D glasses, it probably still wouldn't mean much to me--my eyes just don't cooperate. I can't even do those "Magic Eye" things. You know those optical illusions where you're supposed to state at something for 30 seconds and then look away? And...uhm...something is supposed to happen? I can never get those to work, either. (Although most of these are pretty good.) There is probably some biblical application here somewhere. Maybe it's how you can go about your life without seeing God anywhere...but if you look with your eyes wide open, you will inevitably see God's presence all around you.
From there you will seek the Lord your God, and you will find him if you search after him with all your heart and soul. (Deuteronomy 4:29)

Incidentally, Psalm 147 is actually the assigned Psalm for this week, except that the lectionary only includes verses 1-11 and 20c (which is basically the ending "Alleluia"/"Praise the Lord"). Sometimes verses are omitted because they are confusing out of context or because of length, but in this case, since it was the winter weather verses that were left out, I have to wonder. Did someone, somewhere (possibly someone living in a warmer climate), think they were doing us Northerners a favor by leaving the snow and frost references out?
~Pastor Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment