Friday, January 30, 2009

January prayers

I always meant to post occasional prayer requests here on the blog, but for some reason I've never done it. This is me trying to correct that! I will post here some of the things that I am praying for (not all--trying to respect privacy, too), both to remind me to pray and as an invitation for anyone who would like to join me. (You can share requests in the comments, too.)

Right now, I am especially praying for the youth in our parish who will be participating in the 30 Hour Famine on February 28 (as well as for the people their contributions will help to support and the overall ministry of the parent organization, World Vision). I give thanks for those youth who have already committed to this event, and invite prayers for those who are considering whether they might be called to participate.

If you're unfamiliar with it, the idea of the Famine is that youth (and their adult leaders, so yes, that means me) fast for 30 hours to help raise awareness of world hunger issues. (There will be plenty of water and juice, so it's a fairly healthy fast, although there are other options for folks with health concerns.) They also encourage friends and neighbors to sponsor them, with donations going to help feed and care for hungry families, especially children. If you want to support this effort but aren't local, you can also give to ELCA World Hunger or be on the lookout for youth collecting for the Souper Bowl of Caring at your church this coming Sunday. (Our parish is choosing to stay focused on one of these good causes at a time, but there may be different options depending on where you are.) All of these are great opportunities if you want to give but aren't sure how much you can afford to contribute, because lots of small donations can really add up.

In other news, we offer a prayer of thanksgiving this week along with Steve and Kristi Carnazzo, missionaries who are supported by some of our congregations. They have recently adopted a baby boy, Andre. Like any new parents, I am sure they will appreciate any extra prayers they can get!
~Pastor Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment