Thursday, June 11, 2009

Blog improvement

I've been experimenting lately us ways of finding images to add to posts. This makes the blog look more appealing (I hope) and also pleases my sense of aesthetics.

The best is probably to use my own photographs; maybe I'll spend some time taking "stock" photos of various church-related things to use as illustrations? My digital camera is...well, it is a digital camera, and that's about all you can say about it. So getting quality photos is mostly a matter of persistence and sheer luck. I have, for example, no actual zoom.

(My current stock of photographs consists almost entirely of pictures of yarn and knitting.)

There are lots of photos and images out there on the Internet. I'm trying to figure out the best way to find and use them. It's important to me that I respect copyrights and give proper credit--it's way too easy out here to steal someone else's intellectual property, and I don't want to be doing that. "Everyone does it" is not sufficient excuse in my book--as Christians, and as people of integrity, we have a responsibility to respect the rights of artists and photographers! (And I can't exactly get up on Sunday and preach a sermon on "Thou shalt not steal" if I'm stealing images to use on my blog! Not that I was planning to preach on the ten commandments. Unless they happen to come up in the lectionary, or the Spirit so moves me.)

So I guess this post is something of a disclaimer: I will always try to be above-board in my use of other people's images. But if there are ever any concerns, please let me know, so I can correct the situation.
~Pastor Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment